Snow & Ice Removal Policy
It is the property owner’s responsibility to remove snow/ ice from sidewalks.
- The presence of snow and ice can create a danger to those using sidewalks.
- Those with sidewalks located in front of or adjacent to their premises must take reasonable and practical efforts to ensure a five foot path is cleared of snow and ice.
- The Town encourages owners who may be unable to reasonably clear a sidewalk or walkway, whether due to disability, injury, or general health impediments, to consider hiring a contractor, asking a neighbor, or seeking other assistance to clear the snow and ice.
- An owner is any person, owner, owner’s designee, lessee, or occupant occupying the first floor of any building or structure for business, residence, or other purpose.
- The Town is held to the same standard and is responsible for the clearing and removal of snow and ice for property owned by the Town, including the Town Hall, Police Department, and all trails of the Town.
- The Snow and Ice Removal Policy was passed by the Town Council on November 8, 2018, by adoption of Ordinance 2018-25 and is similar to policies found in other cities and towns. The Ordinance may be found here.
- The Town realizes the new requirements will take time to get used to and will mostly focus on educating residents and businesses about the new policy through the 2018-2019 winter.