Town Code & Regulations

To view the Town of Cumberland Code of Ordinances click the button below. 

View Town Code
Code EnforcementEnsuring compliance with town codes and regulations is a collaborative effort between the town government and the community. Due to our unique position as a town spanning two counties, the Town of Cumberland can only enforce codes in Hancock County. For any code violations in Marion County, please report them to the Mayor's Action Center. Additionally, we can only enforce violations that are visible from public rights-of-way, such as driveways, sidewalks, or any public roadway.

For zoning inquiries, please contact Carrie Neely to determine the zoning status of a property.

To report a code violation or for questions regarding code enforcement, please fill out the Report a Violation form or contact Carrie Neely.

Report Violation
Common Code Violations
Overgrown Grass/Weeds
Overgrown grass/weeds violations occur when grass/weeds exceed two inches in height. Regularly mowing your lawn and trimming overgrown weeds helps prevent pest infestations and keeps the community looking neat.
Trash/Solid Waste
Violations for litter found in the adjacent public rights-of-way. As a property owner, it is your responsibility to maintain your property as well as the adjoining public right-of-way. This includes, but is not limited to sidewalks, alleys, easements, and the curb.

Examples of Litter include:

  • Trash
  • Debris
  • Items ineligible or in excess of what is allowed for Heavy Trash Pickup 
  • Tree Brush
  • Furniture
  • Objects likely to injure a person or create a traffic hazard
Aban­doned Vehi­cles
All vehi­cles must be insured, reg­is­tered, and have cur­rent plates phys­i­cal­ly on the vehi­cle, when it is parked on pub­lic AND pri­vate prop­er­ty. There is usu­al­ly some con­fu­sion regard­ing cars parked on pri­vate prop­er­ty. Vehi­cle own­ers might think they don’t need to be insured or plat­ed if they’re on pri­vate prop­er­ty, but in fact, they do.
General Parking
No person shall park any motor or animal drawn vehicle upon, along or over any sidewalk or public grassy areas, except in crossing the same at driveways, or at other places where so required to enter any premises. All parking must be done on hard concrete or asphalt surfaces. 
Common Nuisances

In our community, common nuisances often involve issues like loose animals, persistent barking, loud noises, or other disturbances. All disturbances of those nature can only be reported to the Non-Emergency police line for your respective county. 

Marion County Non-Emergency: (317) 327-3811
Hancock County Non-Emergency: (317) 477-4400