National Road Park Project
The National Road Park project is an existing 5.6 acre neighborhood park named after the historic National Road that the town was created around. It is located in one of the older parts of town and is within the local historic conservation district. The park is mostly used by residents that live nearby. The most popular activity currently is basketball and primarily attracts older children. National Road Park was originally designed as a walk-in park and hasn't been updated since construction in the 1980's. Reinvigorating National Road Park will create new and improved amenities that will attract children young and old, seniors, and hopefully create a regional draw with the expansion of basketball courts and the trail.
The proposed project will be the first phase focusing on rehabilitation of existing facilities and expanding park amenities. The following is a list of items that may be included in the grant:
- Extend Colmar through the park to Municipal Drive and make 2 way with on street parking all the way to US 40 if possible.
- Redo the basketball court
- Add a new basketball court
- Restore Shelter house and Gazebo
- Extend the trail system into the wooded area and along Woodlark Drive as well as along new road sections
- Install solar lights in the park
- Install benches and trash receptacles out of recycled materials near basketball court, playground and along the trail.
- Green stormwater improvements in the open area to create more useable space
- New Play equipment including accessible pieces
- Signage and Wayfinding for the park