Building PermitsBuilding permits are required for new construction, remodeling, and most work over $500.  The following is a list of common items that require a permit, however, please note it is not an all-inclusive list. Please note that starting April 5, 2023, There will be a new Park Impact Fee assessed on all new Residential home permits, this includes attached, detached, and multi-family residential. The fee is $1,250 per dwelling unit.

  • All New Construction
  • Permanent Signs
  • Temporary Signs
  • Temporary Uses
  • Re-roof
  • New windows
  • Electrical Work
  • Decks
  • Fence
  • Pools
  • Barns
  • HVAC replacement
  • Driveways
Permit Application Portal

Permits are also required for sanitary sewer connections and street cuts. If you wish to connect to Cumberland or Gems sanitary sewer system, you must complete the application below. A street-cut permit is utilized in cases where it is necessary to change any area of the public right-of-way. 

Sanitary Sewer Permit Street  Cut Permit
Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals Application

For questions regarding plan commission and board of zoning appeals applications, please contact Assistant Town Manager Christine Owens at or (317) 894-6202. To view the documents listed click the button below. 
  • Development Plan Review Application
  • Major Final Sub
  • Major Subdivision Preliminary 
  • Subdivision Plat Prelim
  • Minor Subdivision 
  • Application Procedures for PUD
  • Planned Unit Development (A)
  • Planned Unit Development final -PUD(F)
  • Planned Unit Development Preliminary -PUD(P)
  • Plat Amendment and Re-plat
  • Rezone Application
  • Schedule a Building Inspection 
  • Special Exception Application 
  • Use Variance Application
  • Variance Application

Planning Forms & Documents